Do you want this year to be your year to exceed your wildest expectations?
Have you ever wondered why some people achieve great success in business and others simply don’t?
Maybe achievers have more drive. Maybe they have more determination. Maybe they have developed better selling skills. What we know for sure is that the most successful consultants in any business definitely set and work toward their goals.
The beginning of the year or the beginning of a new season is the perfect time to reflect on and evaluate past success and determine not only what you want for the year ahead, but also what you are willing to do to get it – to set your GOALS.
What is goal setting? How can effective goal setting create magic in your business?
Goal setting includes deciding what you want – in life, in your business, in your wallet, in your heart or any combination. One key element to having a goal is to write it down and share it with others.
Top sales guru, Brian Tracy says, “Goals in writing are dreams with deadlines.”
Maybe for you, the goal is a dollar amount you want or need to earn each month. For others it might be getting recognized at your National Conference for achieving a particular award or earning the company trip. Quite possibly, you are reading this thinking, “I don’t really have a goal … I just wanted a successful business.”
Goals are extremely important because when you track what you are doing against a self-determined goal, you can measure how well your business is going and track your progress.
Follow these 7 tips for achieving your goals this year!
Think about your life. What makes you happy? What is missing? Can you achieve greater happiness through your business? Absolutely. Your business has the potential to change your life in ways you have not yet imagined.
1. REFLECT on your past year.
- What success are you most proud of over the past year?
- What benchmarks or achievements did you reach? (Sales or sponsoring numbers, quick start program, new rank in compensation plan, award, recognition, etc.?)
2. LOOK ahead to the New Year.
What do you want to reach for in the following categories?
- New Leader Promotions
- Annual Awards
- Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly Income
3. DETERMINE at least 3 Specific, measurable goals for the year. Write them down.
Many top leaders set goals in all of the categories that correlate to how they are compensated in their career plan or align with annual awards programs.
- I will reach the level of Silver Sales – $50,000 per year.
- I will walk on stage at National Conference at the rank of Senior Executive Manager.
- I will earn the trip to Cabo for my wife and myself.
4. EVALUATE whether your goals are attainable with the work you are willing to do.
Very often what someone wants doesn’t align with what he or she is willing to do. Stretching is important for personal growth and income growth; however, being realistic and looking into the mirror to ask yourself if you are up for the challenge is critical, as well.
- How many presentations or parties will it take to hit the “Silver Sales” benchmark or to achieve the trip incentive?
- With those sales, and your recruiting/leader development skills, can you realistically achieve the rank you want?
5. CONNECT your goals to feelings.
Imagine yourself reaching each specific goal you have set. It’s not just the numbers behind each goal that matter – it’s also about capturing how you will feel when you do achieve each one.
6. Break big goals into achievable targets and benchmarks.
Sometimes the long-term or yearly goal is so large that it is hard to imagine what that means for each day, week or month throughout the year. Take large goals and break them down into the smaller pieces that tie together to reach the bigger goal. For example, if you want to sell $50,000 in the year, do the math to figure out what you need to sell each month.
7. STAY on course.
Sit down with yourself regularly (weekly, monthly) to make sure that you are hitting the intermediate benchmarks that are necessary to hit your end of year goals.
- Is there training you need to learn better skills?
- Do you need to do a quick sprint of more presentations or parties to get back on track?
- Did you set your goals too low – and it’s time to adjust them to reach higher?
You can achieve anything you imagine for yourself. Just set your goals, make a plan and then TAKE ACTION.
What do you want to achieve in 2017?
Want some more direction as you work on setting your goals for the year ahead? As part of the 3-part series on my FB LIVE show, It’s Up to ME! we’re delving into this very topic! Check it out here.